Cavities are painful and serious dental problems that can destroy your smile in just a short amount of time. They generally form when the bacteria in your mouth has the chance to erode your tooth enamel, which usually happens when you do not brush your teeth regularly and visit the dentist.
It’s best to do everything you possibly can to prevent cavities, and here are some things you can do:
· Keep up on oral hygiene: It’s extremely important that you brush, floss, and rinse every day. When you brush, use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. When you floss, be gentle around the gums. When you rinse, use a beneficial mouthwash that contains fluoride. Do your best to brush twice a day and floss and rinse daily.
· Visit your dentist regularly: It’s strongly recommended that you visit your dentist every six months for a dental cleaning and checkup. These appointments will help you prevent tooth decay as well as gum disease.
· Consider dental sealants: Dental sealants are thin, tooth-colored objects that are placed over your teeth to shield them from tooth decay. This is a great option for younger kids who have poor oral hygiene and for adults who are prone to tooth decay but they don’t have any dental fillings.
· Take advantage of fluoride: Fluoride is a mineral that gives your teeth the strength they need to survive. It’s important that you brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste, rinse your mouth with fluoride mouthwash, use professional fluoride treatments at the dental office, and drink plenty of tap water. Doing these things will help you receive the fluoride you need.
· Eat tooth-healthy foods: There are many foods and beverages that can harm and destroy your smile; it’s best to avoid these products. Some of these foods and drinks include hard, stick candies, sweets, and soda.
If you have any questions about these tips or if you would like to know more, please feel free to call Shaia Dental Care today at 440-884-9898. Dr. Anthony Shaia and our entire team will be happy to help you!